[rollei_list] Re: exposure meter-stupid question?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:27:29 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Photographer" <photographer@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 2:15 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] exposure meter-stupid question?

I'm new for rollei_list, so it's my first post..
First of all I am very happy to be now Rollei owner..it was my dream for a long time.
Just bought Rolleiflex 3.5E with Planar and I have some question about meter. I can't find detailed manual how to use this meter...I understand that it should be easy but maybe somebody can give me the link to this kind of manual or just explain how to use meter correct.. I've tried to search rollei_list archive but didn't find anything..

Thanks for your help..
Kirill

The meter is a match needle type. The outer ring on the focus knob has two purposes, one is to set the film speed, the other is to adjust the red pointer until it matches the meter needle. To set the speed turn the ring as far as it will go in either direction. Turning it further will change the film speed shown in the little windows in the side of the focus knob. When making a reading note the position of the meter pointer and move this same ring until the red pointer matches the meter pointer. Now read the Exposure Value from one of the windows on the top of the knob next to the ring. There are two windows, one black and one red to correspond to the two ranges of the meter. When you have the reading adjust the exposure by unlocking the aperture and speed adjustment knobs (the lock is the button in the center of the aperture knob) and set the EV on the scale of the shutter speed knob. Then lock them again. You can then set this for whatever shutter speed or aperture is appropriate.
The meter range is changed by the small sliding knob on the top left (when operating the camera) of the frame of the focus hood, near the meter window. When pushed toward the center of the camera it selects the high range, when moved away from the camera it selects the low range. When in low it will expose a red mark just under the knob.
I thought I saw a manual for the E series cameras on-line but can't find it. There is an F manual but its enough different from the E to be confusing.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx