[rollei_list] Re: "detail beyond scanners ability to capture it" (was: Digital printing v. Analog)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:12:49 -0400

On Friday, April 15, 2005, at 01:27  PM, Richard Urmonas wrote:

> A few weekends ago I was scanning some Rollei b&W negs, and the detail
> was beyond the scanners ability to capture it.

Wow! What maximum resolution does your scanner scan at?

Mine, a fairly inexpensive Epson Perfection 4180 Photo, which cost me a
mere (CAN)$227.50 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, can scan at a maximum
of 4800 dpi optical (not interpolated) resolution. This means that from
a 2.2 inch square Rolleiflex negative I can get a theoretical maximum
of 144 megapixels! I'd really like to see any MF digital back available
today match that.

Not to mention that each of the 144 million scanned dots contains all
the three primary colours: not just one of the three primary colours.

So if your scanner can scan at 4800 dpi, and it still cannot capture
all the detail thereupon, there must be even more than 144 million dots
per Rollei negative!

I don't doubt you, of course. I do believe that 4800 is not good enough
for scanning film. But that's because I like to see every grain as an
individual piece of grain, with sharp edges. When I enlarge 100x, as I
do once in a while, I like to show off the grain as an integral
aesthetic part of the picture.

Cheers.