[rollei_list] Re: changing lens formulas

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 16:42:39 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <aghalide@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 3:49 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: changing lens formulas

After 4 years at /RIT and two weeks working for the fashion editor of the Ladies' Home Journal I was recommended by C.B. Neblette for a position at Modern Photography Magazine to replace the technical person who left to write books and brochures about Polaroid products. That was 1957. Upon returning from 6-months active duty in Arkansas I worked with Optical Expert Ben Sherman to create a lens testing method. Ben decided to use the U.S. Airforce targets and test for resolution and call it lens sharpness. This worked most times, but failed manytimes. Zeiss lenses for the Zeiss Contarex tested badly for resolution and great for sharp images. Zeiss seemed to be designed to give high contrast, as did many Nikkors which also failed in resolution. Minolta did well with resolution and fair with contrast. Leica lenses did well in both cases. So we didn't publish low contrast lenses because we were really testing for high and low resolution not contrast. If the lens failed a test we didn't publish the results. Many years later they added contrast to the lens test. Ed Meyers

Edge contrast and resolution are often trade-offs in design. Kingslake discusses this in his books on lens design. It can be measured optically but can also be calculated using one of the lens optimization programs. These will show the energy distribution in the image for a point source and other measures. One of the compromises is the balance of high order aberrations. The eye generally interprets edge contrast as sharpness, in film this is called acutance but there is no specific term for lenses. One can design a lens with both good edge sharpness and high resolution but it becomes more complex. Cost and difficulty of manufacture are factors in any lens design as they are for other products. Also, in general, the more complex a lens is the more sensitive it is to variations in the components. This is also a cost problem. A problem with using test charts is that its difficult to analyse field flatness unless many tests with slight shifts of focus are made. This can be seen more easily by examining the aerial image on an optical bench. One can also look for coma and oblique spherical this way although its difficult to distinguish one from the other. The lens optimization programs will tell you much more than you want to know about a design. There is a pretty good freeware program called OSLO available on the web. The free version is limited to I think 12 surfaces. Two must be the object and image planes but that leaves you with enough to analyse six element Planar and Plasmat types. I don't know of a freeware program for more complex lenses. Most of the lens prescriptions available come from patent literature and are often incomplete or unreliable, especially older ones. The incomplete data is usually the complete glass dispersion spec.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx