[rollei_list] Re: bad news re: old rollei

  • From: Todd Belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:30:39 -0700

I may have a new old stock back for an Old Standard and I may also have a new old stock latch for a 1937 Automat. But it all depends on what it cracked.

todd

On 11-Oct-05, at 3:22 PM, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

That's why I asked if it was a crack in the latch of an OS. He could put
the camera on a scanner, and upload a photo of the failure-- if it is an
OS like mine, that latch is just a glorified strap hinge. But, I dunno
where the crack is....

Any dead OS's out there.....?

Also, I have 2 Wirgin TLRs, both copies of the first Rollei, and they have a similar latch... Cannibalize time?

PJN

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:45:42 -0700 Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
PJ

I have a small machine shop, but I would not attempt to make
a theoretical  part for an unknown camera.

Jerry

Peter J Nebergall wrote:

I have a 1937 in my hand.  I assume you mean an OS?

Is the crack where the latch attaches at the tripod mount? The
fixed
part of the hinge? Someone could create a new one (any machinists
here?)
and epoxy it down next to the tripod mount. I would think the
latch
could be fabricated.  Brass?

P.J. Nebergall

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:58:12 -0700 Jerry Lehrer
<jerryleh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
Shannon,

Rather than throwing good money after bad, I might suggest that
you buy a long thin worm drive hose clamp and use it to clamp
the back to the body, Locate it between the lenses.

Jerry

Shannon Stoney wrote:

I just got a call from Krikar (sp?) at Krimar Photo Shop,
where he
fixes old Rolleis. He says that my 1937 Rollei is not worth
fixing,
because there is a crack where the latch is, and the shutter
is
off
and not fixable in his view. He says it would cost $300-400
fix
it, and I might as well buy another, better one that he has
for
that
price.

But I have already put several hundred dollars into this
camera,
and
I don't want to give up on it entirely. I wonder if I could
just
tape
the bottom where the latch is, in the same way that I tape up
my
Holga? The shutter might still be something of a problem, but
at
least I have more control with it than I do with the Holga.

Sorry for the blasphemy of comparing a Rollei to a Holga, but
in
this
case it seems like it's so broke that it's only slightly above
the
Holga in value. Still, I wonder if it might be useable?
Maybe
Mr.
Krikar would not use it, but maybe it's good enough for me.

--shannon

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe'

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

--- Rollei List

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx