[rollei_list] Re: Xenon is a Xenar!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:07:29 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 2:47 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Xenon is a Xenar!

>> groups of two elements.
>
>  The late version of this lens is shown in the 1955
> edition
> of the Kodak lens booklet from the _Kodak Reference
> Handbook_. This is from the Retina IIIc so it may or may
> not
> be the later version Patric has. This is a 50mm, f/2.0, 9
> element lens,, 4 components in front of the stop and two
> behind it. There are three cemented components each of two
> elements.

   I meant to correct the above. This is what is shown in
the Kodak booklet but, from Kingslake's data it is probably
the telephoto attachment. The "normal" FL attachment is the
front of a Biotar/Opic, i.e., has a single front element
followed by a cemented pair. This forms a conventional
Biotar/Opic type lens with the components built into the
camera. If the Kodak book is in error it won't be the first
time. I suspect the department that actually wrote and
published the literature was removed just a little too far
from the original sources. I've found a couple of resounding
errors in various editions.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA