[rollei_list] Re: XTOL Mix-It-Yourself Formula

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:11:22 -0400

At 04:24 AM 7/27/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>      Kodak stopped selling the one liter size because they
>could not seal it correctly and too many of them arrived
>with the Phenidone oxidized and dead.

Richard

Please pay attention. The 5 Liter size is simply unusable by a small-volume home processor. And as commercial labs do not favor XTOL, it is no wonder that the product is not selling. If the sealing of the 1 Liter package was a problem, then the obvious solution was to develop better packaging, not to render the product unsalable by putting it out in a huge quantity. Even a 3 Liter bag might have worked, but not 5 Liters, especially in the US, where home processors are pretty tightly wedded to the quart/liter size, or, at the most, 1 gallon. 5 Liters is 1 1/3 gallons, for Pete's sake, an impossible quantity.

There is a substitute formula based on orange juice which apparently matches XTOL's performance quite closely, and that is the formula I am attempting to find. The alternatives suggested to date all use exotic chemistry which would require me to set up an account with Fisher Scientific.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!