[rollei_list] VERY OT: Libertarian USian Politics

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 23:35:39 -0400

At 10:55 PM 5/28/2008, Michael Eric Berube wrote:

>I would vote for the LP candidate this year too BUT I cannot in good
>conscience pretend that Robert Barr will somehow now support and defend
>the Constitution after an entire career spent trying to subvert it any
>more than I can pretend that John McCain would wake up Jan09 a born
>again Constitutionalist Conservative.

Michael

I was turned on to two terms by a good friend of my Mom, back in the Longago, probably before you were born. He was our State Senator in suburban Pittsburgh (H J Heinz became the Congressman there a year after we moved to San Francisco but, then, that was thematically necessary so that I can occasionally point out to you folks that I actually DID spent the Summer Of Love in the City). This was in the early and mid 1960's. After I burst through the lines at a public appearance in the fall of 1964 to shake Goldwater's hand, he came to see me as a kindred soul to his. (He regarded Heinz as a far-left sell-out, incidentally, and detested the then Congressman, Jimmy Fulton, a Republican beloved of Liein' Lyndon Johnson, and so be it/) He taught me:

TOCSIN:  a warning bell
LIBERTARIAN:  someone who wants to be left alone

I have been all over the place, though I have to admit I've been spared ever having joined a union, a central issue between my son and I: my son will vote Libertarian every time but will also pull the Union lever and he has his own agenda in doing so. I believe that he is wrong but, then, at age 14, I was beaten up by Union thugs in crossing an illegal picket line. That is probably an issue best left to off-List commentaries.

I have no knowledge of Barr's subversion of the Constitution but if he is USian politican, shucks, they've all been doing this since 1789. McCain is acceptable although I hope that he will not follow Jimmy Carter into the pool of disaster. Navy guys do well in subordinate roles but generally end up self-immolating when put in charge.

Me? I miss 1992. A quiet day at my local pool with a G&T and the latest issue of CAMERA & DARKROOM on my lap and my kid diving into the water. It was a different time and a different universe and now he works on the North Slope and keeps wondering about the legal right we lower-48'ers have to prevent exploitation of ANWR -- the list of busted promises by the US government to get them to seek statehood is long, thanks to Jack Kennedy, who found Alaska offensive once it started voted Republican.

In any event, Alaska is now much like Arizona, a state which claims a Republican heritage but which is more regulated than is New York State. They defend it on the ground of doing it more efficiently. Oy Vey!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!