[rollei_list] Thomas Merton Exhibit and the Rollei

  • From: "JMN *" <retinaiiic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:18:06 -0500

Just experienced the Thomas Merton Photo exhibit at our local Art Center. The program that accompanies the exhibit mentions that Merton had access to a Roleiflex. Indeed, some the 30 or so photos on exhibition were square. But I couldn't help but wonder if Ralph Meatyard had anything to do with Merton using a Rollei. With Merton being a Monk at the Abbey of Gethsemani he did not own a camera. Whatever camera he used was loaned to him either by friends or by the Abbey.

I know there was an association between Meatyard and Merton, but there is very little mention of this in the exhibit. More is said about John Howard Griffin and it is noted as he loaning Merton an Alpa, and a Canon F-X.

Anyway, from the photos that I assumed were taken with the Rollei there is a clear Meatyard influence.

I recommend seeing this exhibit if given the opportunity.

John

--- Rollei List