[rollei_list] Re: Thanks Richard! (was: recoating and polishing the Xenotar lens)

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:21:21 -0400

Oddly, I found the Planars and Xenotars I have used to be equal in
almost every respect.  Sometimes, in transparencies, it seemed one
would render a slight color difference, but other times not even that.
On only one occasion did I compare two samples side by side, aperture
to aperture on the same subject and results then were identical.

As for the Xenar, the one on my MX-EVS is scary sharp, as was one on a
Rolleicord V owned decades ago.   My first 'cord, bought new c. 1957,
was likewise.  I sold it off (don't ask), but when eventually replaced
it, the newer Xenar didn't have the same bite.  I returned it to the
distributer, which sent it back with a note that everything was within
spec.  It was then I learned that individual lenses can vary one from
another.  Subsequently, I owned several Rolleis with reasonably sharp
Xenars, but didn't hit the charm again until encountering my current
sample.   They will pry this MX-EVS from my cold, dead hands.

Allen Zak