[rollei_list] Re: Testing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 23:17:27 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:00 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Testing

I worked for -hp- mid 1960s throught 1970s when Bill and Dave still ran it. It was the best outfit I ever worked for and if my mom had not gotten very sick I would probably have stayed forever. I worked a little with the 2100 series computers which were used with the automated network analysers I worked on. I learned as much as I could on my own. I also remember the prototype 9100 at our office. I used to stay until the janitors kicked me out playing with it. I also bought a model 35 hand held calculator at an employee discount. A burglar got it.

I have some -hp- instruments of that era now, all work to better than specs. They no doubt make very good computers but are completely out of the measurement business. I am having trouble remembering names tonight and am drawing a blank on the company who made medical electronics that -hp- bought but I have somewhere an early EKG machine that I was given because it was obsolete. I think I took it because it was in a nice wooden case and had some enormous magnets in it for the recording galvanometer. I suppose I had some plan to adapt it as a chart recorder. I worked mostly on microwave and RF instrumentation and especially spectrum analyzers. After all this time I still can't afford a 141.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles