[rollei_list] Re: Testing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:01:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 2:42 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Testing

9 degrees here with 90% RH but as that is in euros, its not too bad. We don't do wind chill over here as we reckon that's just for Americans who cant afford overcoats.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe

Well, just to get people jealous, it is now about 74F here and 17% RH. We are having a "Santa Ana" condition. This is caused by a high pressure air mass to the East pushing over the mountains Westward. This causes compressional heating and, as the air comes down off the mountain and cools, it looses moisture. The air blowing in is very dry and reverses the normal air flow from over the ocean. The on-shore winds usually cause nighttime cooling and an increase in moisture. When there is a strong Santa Ana it can be hotter at the beach than inland. The big problem is a fire hazard. We have had a long drought with consequent drying of the vegetation. In combination with very dry air and strong winds in some locations the danger of brush fires is very great. We just had one, started by someone starting a bonfire in a restricted area, that destroyed many acres and homes. Another could get going easily. Those of us who live here know about brush fires, floods, earthquakes and other miscellaneous inconveniences. We even have tornadoes occasionally. Please do not move to Los Angeles unless you have a great deal of money and want to spend it lavishly. You know the state motto, "Keep California Green and Golden".

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles