[rollei_list] Re: Tessars

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:12:55 -0400

At 09:58 PM 5/31/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     How did you determine the age of the two lenses?

>     Zeiss held a great many patents for Tessar type lenses.
>Its nearly impossible to determine which are for production
>lenses. Note that the Kodak Ektar is a Tessar type lens and
>generally outperforms Zeiss lenses of the same era, so its
>possible to make a better Tessar.

Richard

On the first point, I would suspect that the ages were determined by serial numbers. If Peter would share the body and lens serial numbers with us, it would make our task a bit easier.

On the second point, I splutter in protest. Kodak made many a fine Tessar-derived Ektar but to make a blanket statement of the sort you made is simply to make yourself appear foolish. In an era of hand-assembled lenses, it is undoubtedly true that a given Kodak Ektar on a given day could outperform a given Zeiss Tessar, but to suggest that the Kodak lenses inevitably outperformed the incapable lenses produced by those hapless jerks at Zeiss seems to be stretching the case quite a bit more than the record permits.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!