[rollei_list] Re: Tessar, Opton (was: recoating and polishing the Xenotar lens)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:17:05 -0400

On Tuesday, April 12, 2005, at 01:44  AM, Ruben wrote:

> I am getting more and more happy with my own tessar on the automat !
> It gives my Leicas a hard run to the motifs!

Of course the larger negative size is part of the cause for this - but
yes, from what I understand, the Tessar, especially when stopped down,
is extremely sharp.

> I got another automat the 1956-7 with the coupling of EV values - the
> first model - it has a tessar to but not the word "opton" as my
> 1951-1953 automat - are they the same lenses anyway ?

Yes. The "Opton" name was adopted for a while by Zeiss in West Germany
after the War to differentiate itself from its East German counterpart,
which had fallen into Soviet hands.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>