[rollei_list] Re: Storage Media [OT] (was Re: Large Format...

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:12:43 -0500

At 08:13 AM 5/5/2008 -0500, Neil wrote, in part:
Most of my information comes from extensive research into the issues at
hand and a couple of decades of personal experience in creating burned CD
masters for replication.

Best,

Neil

Just as a clarification for me, were you creating burned masters that would later be pressed (or stamped, whatever they call it) or as masters for creating additional burned copies?

I recently had an interesting experience with some CD's a friend's grandson had burned 5-6 years ago. My friend had just thrown them under the seat of his car (about 5 CD's, with one long story on them). They had been down there for all that time and were scuffed and scratched with all the sand and dirt which exists in beach areas, and heat from under the car after driving.

He loaned them to me and I picked the worse ones and just polished them with wet 100 grit paper and was able to copy them. I now see that our local mom-and-pop DVD rental store has a polishing machine for damaged disks.

I would suppose from that experience that the data layer is pretty stable and the clear protective layer does indeed work very well.

I have also decided to destroy some excess/duplicate DVD's and CD's before our move last fall and it was interesting how a couple of snips with shears causes the disks to de-laminate. They are tough and can be mechanically destroyed, but I don't think I have ever lost any photos I have scanned in since scanning and copying to CD's has been available to the common man, that is someone like me.

Finally, and I find this confusing, I recently bought some "Name Brand" re-recordable media and they failed (Unknown to me at the time) part way through the record process. From reasons someone out there knows, I was unable to re-format or re-use them once they had been burned and failed. On the other side of the coin, I used to use Read/Write CD's as backup media and they lasted with daily re-burning for many years.

DAW