[rollei_list] Spring 2008 Print Exchange

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:05:13 -0400

This Spring's group print exchange was a success. I know that the west coast bound packages arrived. Six list members participated, each got one print from each participant. We made a seventh set and sent it to Marc James Small the list administrator as token of our appreciation for his efforts in giving us this forum. At first the idea of only having darkroom prints was put forth, but I'm glad discussion loosened up the entry criteria. We had three prints on fiber based silver gelatin paper, one on resin coated stock, and two ink jet prints one black and white on a semi-gloss stock and one color image on a wove (satin?) finish. The uniting factor was the film that was exposed through a rollei camera. It's not every day one has the opportunity to see and hold such a variety of technique and expression. I added to the fun by knocking off vintage Rollei graphics, and packaging the set of prints in a folder mimicking a package of printing paper. The graphics were letterpress printed in silver and black - just like a real Rollei "In practical Use" book. The whole enterprise took a little longer than anticipated, but what volunteer creative effort doesn't.

If I get a chance in the coming days I'll shoot a picture of the set and post on the RUG Flickr page. Unless one of you pros who took part have the right kind of digital equipment and set-up to take a shot.

Thanks to all the participants. Let's do it again next year.

Elias