[rollei_list] Re: Selenium Light Meters

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:42:14 -0400

> Adams supposedly witnessed Weston operating a meter in this manner...
> pointing it up, pointing it down, pointing it in, then pointing it out...
> after several minutes of observing this hokey-pokey, AA finally asked what
> the hell he was doing, and Weston alleged said "damned if I know" and put
> the meter down for about twenty years...
>

> Eric Goldstein

> I guess if AA had given Weston a copy of Morgan & Lester's "Correct Exposure
> In Photography" the out come might have been different.
> This book was at the time (1944) the definitive work on Weston meters.
> Jonathan

I'm guessing you are half-kidding but in case not, I don't think so! AA was
of course the master of reflectance and had no use for no stinkin' sunny-16
rules, exposure tables or other incident readings. E. Weston (no relation to
the meter) was the master of trial and error and knowing his materials...
when Kodak would discontinue or undate a film or paper, he'd go on a bender
for weeks at the thought of the daunting task of learning new stuff all over
again...

Weston was also fond of 2 dollar pawn-shop rapid rectilinears that the old
press guys had beat up by cleaning them with their neckties... AA of course
had to have the best that money or his sponsors could provide...

Eric Goldstein
--
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.