[rollei_list] Re: Selenium Light Meters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:35:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc James Small" <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:08 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Selenium Light Meters

> At 01:07 PM 4/29/05 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>
>>   Beware of two problems with Weston meters: The first
>> is=20
>>that the angle of view is very wide. This may give you
>>false=20
>>readings when outdoors if you are not careful to avoid
>>too=20
>>much sky in the reading. When used for close reflection=20
>>readings they are very good.
>>   The second problem is with older meters calibrated
>> in=20
>>Weston speeds. While these translate to the next higher=20
>>ISO/ASA speed the calculator seems to have been designed
>>to=20
>>remove a safety factor in the speeds. I have several
>>Weston=20
>>meters all with good cells. All underexpose if the
>>Weston=20
>>equivalent of an ISO speed is entered.=20
>
> Richard
>
> You are apparently too young to have been properly trained
> on selenium
> meters <he grins> , but the proper method is to wave them
> around a bit to
> obtain an average.  I worked political events in the dark
> ages, and, as
> late as 1968, we still had the Speed Graphic dudes there
> waving their
> meters around. =20
>
> Weston speeds are effectively .8 ASA.  There are a
> gazillion warnings to
> CALIBRATE YOUR OWN FILM!!!  from all sources but I have
> yet to find a
> single film which does not properly respond when the
> adjustment is made.
> (That is, 400 ASA is 320 Weston).
>
> Selenium meters are the closest match to the light
> response of chemical
> film, and so selenium meters deserve great respect.  They
> can be a huge
> pain in the butt to use but, in the end, they will produce
> a more accurate
> result than will anything else.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
> Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!
>
> NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505

Actually, I learned how to use a Weston Master II at a very
young age. My family owned a summer camp for kids and we
used 16mm movies as a sales aid. So, I learned the basics of
movie making and photography very early. There are a couple
of methods of using the Weston, they remain very practical
meters.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA