[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 02:05:23 -0500

At 02:35 PM 3/3/2014, Cmfreaza wrote:
We had commented on the point Marc. The Voigtlaender electronic shutter was a _cloth shutter_ used for the SL 35 ME. The Rollei electronic shutter was a _metal shutter_ developed from 1974 by a Rollei team, I don't have the book here to give the names.

Carlos

Zeiss Ikon -- well, the Voigtländer engineers who had been taken over under the ZIV deal -- produced the metal shutter used in the prototype ZI SL2000F. That shutter was fully developed by the time Rollei took over much of the old Voigtländer assets when Zeiss Ikon was pulled out of camera production. Prochnow contended that this was a Rollei development but it was not, as Zeiss Ikon had developed it and passed it on to Rollei when they took over much of the Zeiss Ikon designs. Rollei picked up all rights to these cameras, incidentally, including patent and other intellectual property rights.

Zeiss retained the Contares but this simply led to the Yashica Contax RTS, and Zeiss separately sold the SL725 to Wolf, who were never able to get it into publication.

Thirty years back, I knew a number of the engineers who had worked on these shutters, some in person and others indirectly and a few by mail. Their stories are consistent: the electronic shutter was started when Voigtländer was still an independent asset owned by the Zeiss Foundation and then went over to be further developed after the merger which formed Zeiss Ikon Voigtländer, eventually leading to the one with metal curtains intended for the abortive ZI SL 2000F and which was then, in turn, passed on to Rollei. F&H had a very long history with Voigtländer dating back to its first days and so the shutter in the Rolleiflex SL2000F and SL35E share a Rollei heritage.

I recognize Prochnow's views on this, and, of course, nil nisi bonum mortuis. The truth is, though, that the facts speak contrary to his views. You might want to join the Zeiss Ikon Collectors' Group on Yahoo! Lists and express his position there. Be prepared to meet some opposition, as some of our members on the ZICG also knew these self-same engineers.

Carlos, it is always a delight to discuss matters such as this with you. You hold your ground well.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!