[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:44:36 -0500

At 09:13 AM 3/3/2014, Cmfreaza wrote:
Two points(I am writing vía cell Phone from the farm): 1) Rollei electronic shutter was a Rollei development, it has a symmetric design, it means shutter drive is distributed on both shutter sides allowing to fit the lens at the exact center of the camera body, it was thought for 2000/3000 cameras but the vsl3E and Sl35 E also have the lens at the exact center of the body, an unique feature at the time. Seiko and Copal electronic shutters had the drive on one of the sides only and then the lens position was not at the exact center. Rollei Fototechnic used the Rollei electronic shutter manufactured in the Singapore era for the 2000/3003 cameras due to the reason explained above. It would be too expensive to change the camera body design to use a Japanese electronic shutter.

Yes and no, Carlos. Voigtländer began working on the development of an electronic shutter in the late 1950's. The head of the Zeiss Foundation, Heinz Küppenbender, demanded that Voigtländer be merged with Zeiss Ikon so that Zeiss Ikon would have access to this technology. (There was another reason: the Zeiss lensworks wanted to pick up the Voigtländer optical engineers.) The formation of ZIV enabled Zeiss Ikon to start developing its sequel to the Contarex, the SL2000F. When Küppenbender retired, the Zeiss Foundation promptly killed off Zeiss Ikon (well, not quite -- the eyeglass line and the slide projectors stayed around though the present 'Zett' firm actuallly uses a former Voigtländer brand and includes both the Leica and Zeiss Ikon slide projector lines.) At that point, cameras under development or in production were sold off. Rollei bought the former Icarex/SL706 and the SL2000F lines from Zeiss Ikon. The SL2000F came with an electronic shutter which is identical to that used by Rollei for its version of the camera and, later, for the SL35E and the 300X cameras.. (Nothing else makes sense: why reinvent the wheel?) (Another firm, a consortium known as 'Wulf' or 'Wolf' -- accounts differ -- purchased the successor to the Icarex, the SL750, but that never entered production through a slight misunderstanding. Wolf had thought that Zeiss was going to pay for them to produce the camera or, at the least, give them a factory. Sorry about that, folks! Zeiss just sold them the plans and the prototypes. That had a mechanical shutter, incidentally.)

I recognize that Prochnow invested a lot of energy trying to make a case that the Zeiss Ikon SL2000F was of not special interest and that the Rolleiflex SL2000 was a design unique to Braunschweig. Well, the Rollei electronic shutter was first conceived at the old Voigtländer works in Braunschweig but most of the design work was done at Stuttgart at the Zeiss Ikon factory. I admire Prochow both for his technical knowledge and for his devotion to the breed but his claims about the Rolleiflex 2000 simply run against the historic record and the technical data. As Daniel Webster once advised the jury in a patent case -- Henry Clay was his opposing counsel -- 'if you can show me a dime's worth of difference, then you ought to rule against my client'. And there is not a dime's worth of difference between the Zeiss Ikon electronic shutter and that used by Rollei. (They may have used different batteries. That bit sticks in my memory from discussions twenty years or so ago with some of the guys who'd worked on the development of these cameras -- Rolleiflex not only got the cameras, but it also got some of the engineers.)

This is hardly a major issue save to folks such as Carlos and myself.

Be at peace, Rollei folks!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!