[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:47:53 -0300

Hermann Siber and Caspar Brennwald from Swiss founded their trading
company in Yokohama, Japan in 1865, it became " Siber Hegner & Co." in
1910 and "Nihon Siber Hegner" in 1965, the company name is DKSH Japan
K.K. from 2009 after some divisions and mergers with other companies.
Siber Hegner imported high quality Swiss watches to Japan and
photographic cameras and other European products there, Rollei and
Leica among them, it was the reason Rollei and Leica manufactured
"Nihon Siber Hegner" 130th Anniversary special Urushi edition cameras
in 1995.

The Rolleiflex 2.8 GX "Japan edition" with Urushi lacquer was
manufactured in September 1995, it was the first 2.8GX model with a
Seiko Japanese shutter and then it was also the first 2.8GX with the
slight internal modifications to adapt wheels and window indicators
for the Japanese Seiko and Copal shutter speeds and f stop numbers
inverse sliding order regarding the Compur shutter and some units
still with the Compur shutter couldn't be excluded. It was sold in
Japan only.
According Claus Prochnow's Report IV, the "Japan edition" was
delivered in a light wooden box with a 70x100mm Urushi plate saying
"Rollei, SH, 130th Anniversary Nihon Siber Hegner", the box contained
the camera, the authenticity certificate signed by Wolfgang Sass _in
September 1995_ and a Rolleinar 1 B III set. The certificate said:
"Certificate of Authenticity -  This is to certificate the special
Rolleiflex 28GX "URUSHI" camera - Limited edition of 130 pieces - In
commemoration of Nihon Silber's Hegner 130th Anniversary -
Braunschweig, 1st September 1995 -  Wolfgang Sass, Managing Director,
Rollei Fototechnic GmbH &Co. KG".
The cameras were numbered from 001/130 to 130/130, Rollei Report IV,
page 54-1018, shows photographs about the camera 088/130 (and then
they were more than 65...), the authenticity certificate signed by
Wolfgang Sass in September 1995, another view about the camera from
the back and the 70x100mm Urushi plate for the wooden box.

Carlos