[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:26:10 -0300

John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Carlos, I think that it was the "Royal Urishi" that they intended to build
> 200 a year fort five years.

Yes John, we were talking about this model regarding the 200 units per year.

> The serial numbers on those seem to have the
> year number preceding the production number...
> 10XXX first year
> 20XXX second year etc

The Rollei 35 Royal Urushi and Rolleiflex 2.8GX Royal Urushi were
introduced together in the Photokina 1996, both have the serial
numbers starting 1xxxx and 2xxxx, these two initial numbers seem to
have no direct link with the year number ( I never saw a Royal 35 or a
Royal GX starting 3xxxx and in the Rollei 35 book Prochnow writes only
1 and 2 as initial numbers for the Rollei 35 Royal) ,  but the other
four numbers seem to have a link with the production number. Wolfgang
Sass signed the authenticity certificate for each Royal 35 and Royal
2.8 GX camera from 1996 and Hans D. Zettel, new Rollei Fototechnic
CEO, from 1998.-

> Possibly the Japan was so popular that Rollei decided produce more of the
> same but, in doing so, would have to change the camera name.

Yes, since the "Japan Edition" was dedicated to the 130th Nihon Siber
Hegner anniversary  and the edition was limited to 130 units. The
Royal version was the GX second model version, while the "Japan
edition" still kept the GX first model features except for the
Japanese Seiko shutter.

> They also produced the Royal and the Royal Star which had gold flecks in the
> finish which is not mentioned in Prochnow, so whether the numbers were
> within the Royal batch numbers or not I have no idea. I saw the Classic and
> 2.8GX Royal Stars at Focus on Imaging show a number of years ago; they were
> impressive finishes and certainly not for using.

However Prochnow mentions the Royal Star variant in the "Rollei 35
Eine Kamera Geschichte" book with nice color photographs and there
also is a photograph about the very rare Rollei 35 red Urushi lacquer
with stars, and in the Rollei Report 3, 2006 second and reviewed
edition, Prochnow identifies the Urushi with stars as a Royal variant
PR 469/8 "goldenem Sternenhimmel" within the Royal production, they
were some units within the "regular" Royal 35 and GX production using
the Royal serial numbers, Rollei employees called them
"Sternenhimmel", (starry sky)

> Here is the 35 Classic version of the finish...
>
> http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Rollei/Rollei-35-Classic-Royal-'Star'.html
>
> The limited editions did have a market all the time that the market was not
> swamped. As Marc says, some people must have every variant but there are not
> so many of those who have the funds to buy every Leica or Rolleiflex Limited
> edition variant.
>
> Now DHW are producing bespoke Rolleiflexes and Rollei 35's at about £10k and
> £5k respectively; you name the finish and you can have it. Their market is
> the Far East. The number of variant with user specified serial numbers in
> almost infinite.

Yes, at least DHW also manufacture "regular" FX at lower prices.

Carlos