[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8E value... Mutars

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:57:58 +0000 (GMT)

Yes Peter, I know you have one, they were manufactured
from March 1963 to 1967, before the Mutar existed the
Magnar and the Duonar as auxiliaries lenses.
Carl Zeiss Oberkochen and F&H developed together both
Mutars -Tele 1.5x and Weitwinkel 0.7- however Carl
Zeiss optimized the Mutars optical design for the
Planar 3.5/75 because it was the best seller on a
Rolleiflex camera by that time.

Both Mutars were offered like 3.5F and 3.5E3 original
equipment (BII with 45mm between lenses), but Rollei
also offered adapters for most Rolleiflex and
Rolleicord models. There were issues about the
bayonette size and the distance between the viewing
and taking lenses and then there are adapters for B I
(Rolleiflex and Rolleicord with 42mm between lenses)
for BII with 42mm between lenses (i.e. 3.5E, 3.5E2)and
for B III. The adapters for BI and BII can be used for
both Mutars, Tele and Wide, but there are dedicated
adapters BIII for each Mutar, you need the special one
according your Mutar. For some models, the Mutar used
with adapters produces a bit of vignetting for the
viewing lens, however the image in the taking lens is
right.

Rollei recommended as a fundamental thing to use the
Mutars from f5.6 and smaller apertures to maintain the
image quality.
For 75mm, the Mutar 1.5x increases the focal length to
110mm, for 80mm to 116mm. The Mutar 0.7 converts the
focal length to 54mm and to 57mm for 75 and 80mm.

All the best
Carlos