[rollei_list] Re: Rolleicord IV back rivets

  • From: Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 09:03:46 -0800

To repair the first thing is to understand what caused the damage. I
would suspect something hit the foot at an angle which caused the
riveted part to loosen. If that is the case you could try very
carefully and not too strongly hammering the inside part back into
place. Use a flat punch (nail punch, but a flat one) and a small
hammer. Make sure the foot is on a solid surface so it does not move
from hammering. Only do enough to stop the foot moving, any more could
risk damaging the back. Make sure to work the paint into any joints to
help prevent light entering.

While it will not match the original paint, I have had good luck using
matt black acrylic hobby paint (like used for plastic scale models of
aircraft, boats and similar). Note the acrylic type paint is much
less reflective than enamel paint. If you have access to something like
a telescope or optical scientific store optical black paint would be
even better.

Richard Urmonas

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:21:21 +0100
Hauke Fath <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All,

a while back, I have been able to find a well-used, but recently
CLA'd Rolleicord IV for a reasonable price. The repair man (*) had
obviously been tasked to fix a light leak, and had suggested that the
'cord might have to be returned for more work.

A test film exposed that there is, in fact, stray light on the left
hand side of the film, as seen from the camera back. Looking at the
camera back, I can see that the labyrinth seal on that side is
slighthy bent (and was probably bent back), but not too badly.
Additionally, one of the riveted-in foots is wiggly:

<https://www2.spg.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/rolleicord/DSCI0089.jpg> inside
<https://www2.spg.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/rolleicord/DSCI0091.jpg> outside

It appears loose enough to let in some light, and the missing paint
probably won't help.

So, does anybody have first hand experience in fixing the rivet
(hammer & punch? glue?), and what paint to use for freshing up the
inside?

Cheerio,
Hauke

* Werner Bruer, <http://classic-fototechnik.de/>