[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 and variable spacing on film

  • From: bigler@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:13:05 +0100 (CET)

> Hello all, I processed my first B&W film through my Rollei 35, and
> all went well enough (considering my skill level). Posted a couple
> on the list's flickr page. The spacing between frames varied; is
> that typical? Thanks, E.

In 25+ years of use of a Rollei 35 SE I've never experienced
overlapping images with it. But, yes, spacing may vary like for any
manual-wind 35mm camera; my experience with the rollei 35 is that
variable spacing between frames never yields actual overlapping.

I had read in the past that for mounting 35mm slides, labs had to use
a kind of manual indexing/notching of frames to prepare the job for the
mounting machine, since no 35mm camera was capable of a perfect spacing. I
would expect that today modern automation and pattern recognition
techniques could allow a machine to properly center an image on a 35mm
film with variable spacing ! (another problem that digital users will
never know about ;-)

With my Rollei 35, I have done and still do 95% of color slides, mostly
Kodachrome.

Last March when I visited Franke & Heidecke I had a Kodachrome 64 film
loaded inside the Rollei 35 and no flash, no tripod so I had to finish
the film hand-held when we visited the inside of the factory ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/274667445/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/274668642/

-------------------
BTW for kodachrome-o-philes : the fact that my European,
process-paid kodachromes are now processed in Kansas has virtually no
incidence on the delay ; quality is still as before as expected but I
preferred the plastic mounts from the Lausanne times to the present
cardboard mounts, bringing me back to the sixties, when there was a
busy Kodachrome lab in France :-(

So in 25+ years with my Rollei 35 I do not remember of any problem
with overlapping frames with Kodachrome. I have no idea whether the
winding mechanism is the same for all R-35 models (1966->1981), but
I'm sure that this can eventually be serviced and repaired easily if
needed.

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>