[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35 Sonnar for portraits

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 12:42:03 -0700

I don't see the effects of the damge either. I agree that the picture would have benefited from some fill light but its not always possible One problem is simply that the background is so bright. Again can't be helped since this is a "grab shot" where any attempt to make it better would lose it altogether. A lot of modern cameras, including cell phones, have some sort of automatic fill flash. Doesn't always look natural. I think Photoshop actually has something that looks like fill flash but at some point manipulation turns a photograph into something else. I think this is a very good picture.

On 5/17/2015 5:16 AM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

I think I was lucky taking portraits with the Rollei 35 (35S for this case), they are in focus or, at least, close to the best focus. This one was the last frame in the roll and perhaps it's the reason it looks severely mistreated, it's grainer than the rest of the frames and it's plenty of white dots, I believed I couldn't save it but VueScan infrared cleaning and grain reduction helped for the purpose; the print from the lab does not show the neg damage, the machine underexposed and narrowed the levels for the main subject very much hiding the problems, but I don't like the print made in the lab for this image (it was taken at f4):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17731307865/in/dateposted-public/

Another nocturnal view with the Lumix LX7 Leica zoom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17543658940/in/dateposted-public/

Rollei 35S Sonnar 2,8/40
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17445657309/in/dateposted-public/

Lumix LX7 Leica zoom 1.4/24-90mm (35mm equivalent)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17444349840/in/dateposted-public/

<mailto:cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>>:

Rollei 35S Sonnar 2,8/40
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17485232301/in/dateposted-public/

Lumix LX7 Leica zoom 1,4/24-90mm (35mm equivalent)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17459474796/in/dateposted-public/

<mailto:cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>>:

Last week end I visited Buenos Aires city, our Federal
Capital. My stories book "Rotación de vientos" (Winds
rotation) was selected -among 9 books from other writers-
to represent my province (Misiones) at the Buenos Aires
International Book Fair, the biggest Book fair for the
Spanish language and one of the biggest in the world; each
argentinean province/state had a dedicated day to
introduce its 2014 literary production through the
selected books and their authors.

I carried a Rollei 35S film camera and a Lumix LX7 digital
camera, both excellent instruments for my brief trip
purposes. You feel very similar the cameras in your hands;
the Rollei 35S is more pocketable than the LX7; the later
is very good for nocturnal shots or low- light conditions
shots when you travel without tripod, thanks to its f1.4
Leica zoom and anti-shake feature (it helps really, but
it does not replace a good tripod):

Rollei 35S:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17234319288/

Lumix LX7: