[rollei_list] Rollei 35 Sonnar for portraits

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 09:16:09 -0300

I think I was lucky taking portraits with the Rollei 35 (35S for this
case), they are in focus or, at least, close to the best focus. This one
was the last frame in the roll and perhaps it's the reason it looks
severely mistreated, it's grainer than the rest of the frames and it's
plenty of white dots, I believed I couldn't save it but VueScan infrared
cleaning and grain reduction helped for the purpose; the print from the lab
does not show the neg damage, the machine underexposed and narrowed the
levels for the main subject very much hiding the problems, but I don't like
the print made in the lab for this image (it was taken at f4):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17731307865/in/dateposted-public/

Another nocturnal view with the Lumix LX7 Leica zoom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17543658940/in/dateposted-public/

Rollei 35S Sonnar 2,8/40
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17445657309/in/dateposted-public/

Lumix LX7 Leica zoom 1.4/24-90mm (35mm equivalent)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17444349840/in/dateposted-public/

Rollei 35S Sonnar 2,8/40
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17485232301/in/dateposted-public/

Lumix LX7 Leica zoom 1,4/24-90mm (35mm equivalent)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17459474796/in/dateposted-public/

Last week end I visited Buenos Aires city, our Federal Capital. My
stories book "Rotación de vientos" (Winds rotation) was selected -among 9
books from other writers- to represent my province (Misiones) at the Buenos
Aires International Book Fair, the biggest Book fair for the Spanish
language and one of the biggest in the world; each argentinean
province/state had a dedicated day to introduce its 2014 literary
production through the selected books and their authors.

I carried a Rollei 35S film camera and a Lumix LX7 digital camera, both
excellent instruments for my brief trip purposes. You feel very similar
the cameras in your hands; the Rollei 35S is more pocketable than the LX7;
the later is very good for nocturnal shots or low- light conditions shots
when you travel without tripod, thanks to its f1.4 Leica zoom and
anti-shake feature (it helps really, but it does not replace a good tripod):

Rollei 35S:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17234319288/

Lumix LX7:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/17407831091/