[rollei_list] Re: Replacement Mirror for Original Rollei

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:45:58 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Patric Dahlén" <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 10:50 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Replacement Mirror for Original Rollei

The mirror in my Rolleiflex 4x4 from 1938 was in bad shape too. It's smaller and thinner than the mirrors for 6x6, so I had it resilvered instead of getting a new one.

I have film in my Original Rolleiflex since three years. The shutter works, except the longer speeds.

/Patric

Problems with the slower speeds are usually due to the lubricant in the speed regulator drying out and becoming gummy. While a real cleaning and relubrication is ideal the problem will often respond to a little solvent placed on the gear train. Naptha in the form of lighter fluid is a good solvent. It should not be simply squirted into the shutter but applied after opening the shutter. On a Rollei original model this should be difficult because the shutter is mounted directly on the front of the camera. Getting the shutter open is not difficult. Most of the older rim-set Compurs have a sort of bayonet arrangement for the front cover locked with a single screw. Once the screw is removed the front is given a partial twist counter-clockwise and will come off. The solvent is appled using a toothpick.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx