[rollei_list] Re: RPA, Efke 25, fixer with hardener?

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:38:24 -0400

Try without the hardener first.
Its sulfuric acid. Battery acid.
Not great to breath the fumes. Its a little bottle you can just not use.
Solution B. just use solution A is Ammonium Thiosulfite. Does not smell
hardly at all but use rubber gloves anyway.
If you are getting all kinds of scratching then then maybe give it a go.
The hardener is even thought of as not archival by some folks as it makes it
harder to wash the stuff out of the neg; or in this case the glass plate.

I'd kill to be able to shoot glass plates.

I believe the look you'd get would be notably sharper than sheet film;
Even flat sheet film.
Would be interesting to do a side by side comparison and see if it was
really true.
Its just feel like Atget or somebody.
William Henry Jackson
http://andrewsmithgallery.org/exhibitions/western/jackson.html

Naturally I'd like to be shooting larger ones
At least 5x7's if not 8x10's

Mark William Rabiner