[rollei_list] Re: Planar 2.8 coverage

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 05:20:07 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:05 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Planar 2.8 coverage

Thanks! This was my first roll in Rodinal, and since Ilford's spec sheet gave one time, and Rodinal gave another, I split the difference, so maybe not enough time. and maybe back to 5 seconds every 10 minutes. I use a stainless steel tank, agitating for the first 10 seconds of each minute. Ilftoec HC never gave me this problem, but the grain is much much finer with Rodinal.

I wonder though about how tightly the camera is holding the film. This is the same roll that gave me the strange light leak across frames.

Thanks again all.

Elias

Curious about the grain. I've never used Ilfotec HC, which is similar to Kodak HC-110 but would expect it to have somewhat finer grain than Rodinal. I've used Rodinal mostly for sheet film and have never had any problems with it but I generally use finer grain developers in tanks. I think the main thing with tanks is to have a long enough development time to average out irregularities in agitation. However, if there are surge effects in the tank they are likely to be the same even if the time is increased. The most common surge marks in inversion type tanks are increased development at the edges of the film due to turbulent flow in the interstices of the reels, and sprocket hole marks due to turbulent flow through these holes, also causing a localized increase in development. If you find the problem _is_ due to surging I can only suggest using a different type of reel or rotating the tank along with inverting it. I was taught this trick long ago and its become a habit.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx