[rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:59:48 +0000

I actually quite enjoy the Ektra, though, as a designer, the shortcomings are very frustrating. I own 3 of the cameras, 2 of which still work, and all of the lenses and most of the accessories. I am not sure whether the shutter fails because the advance mechanism is so flimsy, or just fails. I have a repair manual and had intended to get the broken one working, but I need to make special tools, so it will have to wait for retirement and the completion of my wife's list of requirements after that...

cheers,
Frank

On 24 Oct, 2009, at 23:18, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

The Kodak Ektra was a very serious Kodak attempt to build a 35mm
camera provided with the highest quality and more advanced features in
the market from 1941, in fact several of them were unique for 35mm and
Leica and Contax cameras never had them.

It was the 1st RF to have a parallax compensated finder,
it had lens coating on all lenses from 1941, this was a soft coating
and then it was applied on the lenses inner surfaces, it was a hard
coating after the war, it also was the 1st 35 RF with interchangeable
backs, each back was a complete film system and then you could change
backs at the middle of the roll, it was the 1st 35mm to offer built in
zoom finder; the 1st 35 RF to offer lever advance (back mounted) and
1st 35 RF to use a film rewind lever. The Ektra had a lot of
accesories like ground glass viewfinder, angle viewfinder, close-up
auxiliary lenses system, etc.

The Ektra had dedicated Ektar lenses,:1,9/50mm seven elements Biotar
type; 3,5/50mm Tessar type; 3,3/35mm WA; 3,5/90 short tele; 3,8/135
and a rare 4,5/153mm tele. These were excellent lenses, however they
had a very complicated lens mounting and the telemeter coupling
mechanism was very complex too, being these items serious camera's
weak points.
According Stephen Gandy, "...Ektra shutters are notoriously
unreliable.  It probably has the dubious honor of having the most
unreliable shutter ever put into a quality 35 mm.   Roughly 95% of all
the 2500 or so Ektra shutters stopped working decades ago.   If you
want to shoot one on a regular basis, find yourself a good Ektra
repairman first."

This is a nice page on the Ektra camera; at the page bottom there are
other interesing links about Ektra cameras:
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/kodak/ektra.htm

Carlos

2009/10/24 FrankDernie<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I think the optical design of the Kodak Ektra, the only quality Kodak camera with which I am familiar, is exemplary. The mechanical design is poor, it is complex and difficult to make and it has a couple of weaknesses which make it inaccurate and unreliable. The rangefinder optics look super but the
mechanism connecting the optics to the lens is awful.
FWIW,
Frank

On 24 Oct, 2009, at 00:22, Richard Knoppow wrote:

. The Kodak lens is reputedly excellent but the camera shares with other Kodak cameras rather poor ergonomics. Also, while the rangefinder has a long base the very small focusing window makes it difficult to use. The camera is
also nose-heavy but that may actually steady it for some people.
  It has always bothered me that Kodak did not make cameras of equal
quality to their lenses. I think they had the means to do it but for some reason did not. They did make very good view and studio cameras and a good motion picture camera but their still cameras mostly left something to be desired. I do not include the Retina series in this, they were quite good
cameras,  but it was not a product of Kodak in Rochester.

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org