[rollei_list] Re: OT "the price of gasoline" $3 here in Oregon

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:06:14 -0400

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 10:26  PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> You guys are spoilt - I pay roughly the equivalent of US$4 per gallon
> for regular...
>
> Cheers
>
> Jayanand Govindaraj
> Chennai, India

Quite right, Jayanand. We can only start complaining when gasoline
costs over US$10 (or its equivalent) per US gallon.

Did you know that each of the passengers on the Concorde used to fly at
TWICE the speed of sound 6,000 nautical miles over the Atlantic for
less than 300 US gallons of jet fuel, costing NO MORE THAN US$500 at
the time, and often much less? This was with the "thirstiest" airliner
every to fly. Over 20 miles to the gallon! (Do the math: the Concorde
carried less than 30,000 gallons of fuel in its tanks, and 100
passengers - and was never refuelled in mid-air.)

The passengers paid as much as US$15,000 per ticket, and only $500 for
that went towards paying for the fuel. (The rest was for the champagne,
caviar, foie-gras and truffles on the 3-hour flight, surely. Yeah,
right.)

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>