[rollei_list] OT: The Rollei List

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:45:43 -0400

At 01:02 PM 3/29/2012, Laurence Cuffe wrote:

I appreciated you post, It inspires me to dig out my home made 8 inch Dob, or to do some more work on the 18 inch which up to now is just a collection of mirrors and parts for the mirror cell. I have a Nikon D40, which I bought for its good low light performance, and I have got a couple of shots of the Andromeda Galaxy just putting the thing on a tripod, pointing it in the right direction, firing off the shutter, and just letting the camera decide when it was cooked.

I know the next step would be a Barn Door rig etc, but my interest in astronomy is more of a put your eye up there and see what you can see one.

Your Questar is one of my dream machines, while bigger machines may see more and fainter, a telescope that size is a get up and go machine which is always ready.

One last thing which I find a joy in my astronomical explorations, is the free program stellarium <http://www.stellarium.org/>http://www.stellarium.org/ This is one nicest digital planetarium program's I've found, and is a joy to use.

Re 62. That, as many of the folks on this list will tell you, didoes even buy you into the game on being old We treasure you custodian ship of this list and your occasionally irascible and often opinionated contributions. There is a feeling here of sitting on some slightly southern back porch as the sun goes down with a scent of cigar smoke, or a good whiskey drifting past and a critical appreciation of life and all its technologies whether they be cameras, politics or ancient languages.

Shucks to your kind words. I wanted to learn about Rolleis, so I set up this List. I have learned a lot about Rolleiflex gear through this List. I can be a jerk as the List owner but, then, this List is mine. However and for the all of it, I love this List, though I own a few others and enjoy them (the Hornblower List, for instance, on Yahoo!, is a creature entrusted to me by its founder). You Rollei People have taught me so very much. I stand astounded at the collective wisdom in our midst, and I am humbled (who ever would have thought that the terms 'humble' and 'Marc James Small' could be used together? My oldest friends would be astonished.)

An isntance: I first met Jim Brick when he chastised me about a calibre issue with my Argentine Mauser. That was over on the Leica Users' Group (now the LDG, the Leica Digital Group, and <he grins>). Other than his hang-up on BMW cars, Jim has turned out to be a really grand person who has taught me a lot over the years. (Jim, I just picked up a Taurus 605, a five-shot .357 revolver. Just for your records! I know nothing about revolvers, so this will be a fun experience if I can avoid blowing off my big toes ... )

Richard Knoppow is the very soul of knowledge when it comes to both Compur shutters and THE WHISTLER ("I know many things, because I walk by night", and you have to be there to understand ... ). Carlos was a friend to Prochnow and, unlike the most of us, actually takes pictures with his Rolleiflex TLR. Eric is at the cutting edge of digital but still keeps an oar in the swamp of film lore. Und so weiter:: dozens and dozens of names pop up from these tired memory banks of the List members who have taught me so very, very much over the past decade and a half.

Your vision of the Southern back porch is true to form, albeit one of my favorite films, THE FLIM-FLAM MAN, is not yet available on NetFlix. (The film is about me: 'he pays his monthly rent with daily charm', as the song says.) We congregate and then someone says something and then we are off to the races. The List will be silent for a week until someone asks a question and, then, wham, bam, out of an orange-colored sky (and watch out for falling glass! Thanks, Nat Cole.), we are all a-gom over the issue and then spin off into the OT areas. I sit in wonder at the collective wisdom of you folks but, then, I have sat on a Southern back porch with a bunch of red-necks and I never came away without learning a lot. In the end, despite my proper education and my professional life, I am true to my West Virginia roots and am very much the red-neck myself.

It has been my great honour to have led this assemblage of the proper and the improper, the good, the bad, and the ugly, the knowledgable and the over-educated, the kind and the harsh, the thoughtful and the rash. There has never been a posting which has not caused me to think, often in agreement and sometimes in disagreement.

Thank you, Rollei People, for having taught me so much. You guys are without parallel in terms of just plain decency and common sense and an interest in learning.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!