[rollei_list] Re: OT: Telescope Mirror Coatings

  • From: "Maurice M. Greeson" <maurice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:14:50 -0700

The coatings on the mirrors of my two Pre-WWII 4x4 Rolleis had greatly
deteriorated so I took them out and had them recoated by a local (So. Calif.)
telescope mirror aluminizing company.  This was about 15 years ago and they are
still in fine shape.  On another note....years ago when the 3.5F and 2.8F
Rolleis were still in production a Rollei sales rep. came in to the store I
worked in, took the focusing hood off, lifted the focusing screen and threw his
car keys into the mirror box!  It didn't appear to hurt the mirror. This was
just to show the quality of the coatings.  I wonder how many times he did that
before having to replace the mirror.....
 Maurice