[rollei_list] Re: OT Re: Is the RUG still up? 620 film foolery

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:56:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Friedman" <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:45 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT Re: Is the RUG still up? 620
film foolery

> It gets worse. There are Anastars that are three element
> triplets and anastars that are triplets in the tessar
> sense
> of cemented elements.  Doing the flashlight test would
> seem
> to indicate four elements but on the other hand there are
> Anastars with a lesser shutter with speeds only to 1/300
> second. Possibly this less expensive model had a standard
> triplet.
>
> Kodak never defined Anastars, Ektars, etc and used the
> same
> names for a variety of lens designs. This is no surprise
> really: weren't they the people who said you push the
> button and leave the rest to us?
>
> The model with a Xenar must have been meant to be higher
> priced version.
>
> Still, nice small cameras.
>
> Jerry

    Kodak has been pretty consistent with their names for
their cheaper lenses after renaming. Ektar, as you state, is
really used as a class name, not the name of a particular
design. Ektar is Kodak's name for its deluxe lenses. The
first Ektar was the 45mm, f/2 lens used on the Bantam
Special. This was also one of the first coated lenses on the
market, with soft coatings on internal surfaces. It is a
six-element Biotar type.
   Other Ektars can be Tessar, Heliar, Dogmar, and some
other designs.
   Before renaming the name Kodak Anastigmat was used for at
least two different designs. The Series 30 K.A. were
Tessars, the series 70 lenses were Dogmars. Its possible
some Triplets were also made under this name but I don't
think so.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA