[rollei_list] OT: PC Monitor adjustment for photographs

  • From: "Allan Derickson" <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:44:41 -0700

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 997df 19" monitor for my PC. A CRT. It was rated
a good monitor when I bought it.

I like to shoot slides and view them projected but I also scan them for
viewing online. I've been somewhat frustrated in my scanning because despite
my best efforts I can't seem to get the detail in the shadows area I see in
the projected slide.

Recently I found a site with some images to help calibrate a monitor to view
photographs. I can adjust the brightness on my monitor to see the dark gray
steps and it greatly improved the appearance of my scanned slides. However
now, text appears blurry and blown out  in other applications.

Is this the choice? Optimal adjustment for photographs means your text-based
applications are almost unreadable?

Allan