[rollei_list] Re: OT: Lightmeter

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:19:53 -0400

At 10:58 AM 5/13/2013, Allan Derickson wrote:
>I have the same little Sekonic but my most accurate meter is my old Gossen
>Super Pilot. It's on my last set of the now banned mercury batteries,
>however, that I got from Canada several years ago. When they finally die
>I'll look for something newer.

First, mercury batteries were not 'banned' as such. The US government required that an exchange policy be set up so that the exhausted batteries could be properly processed, and the camera industry, seeing a niche for new sales, refused to set up such a program. I cleaned out a bunch of troves of mercury batteries at that time and still have a few around.

Second, Gossen meters work well with alkaline or silver cells as they have compensating circuitry to accommodate the differing voltages and fall-off rates. Most European camera gear have such circuits, and most Japanese gear does not, so you have to be careful about using alkaline cells on Oriental cameras.

Third, Gossen markets an adapter to accommodate silver cells in its mercury-battery lightmeters. Try Bogen part number 4145 in the US. Radio Shack can find you a replacement silver cell when the original one wears down.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!