[rollei_list] Re: Not My Definition of a Thoroughbred (Re: Nikon vs.

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <Laurence.Cuffe@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:18:40 +0100 (IST)

>Hi Peter,
>> I would have to add the Canon F1-N to that thoroughbred list. It was a
>> true workhorse although it did not enjoy the popularity of the Nikon F
>> series.
>Why do you say that?  I find there are FAR more Canon F-1Ns, lenses and
>accessories available (and far more people that use them) than Nikon F
>series

Now Austin the devil is in the details! given the quote above I think I
can compare available F-1Ns with all available members of the Nikon F
series in order to refute your statement.
More seriously, for the figures in my previous e-mail I did a number of
ebay searches until I found the set which would best support my point,
and any of the searches based on "canon F-1n"
or "canon F 1n" or "canonF1n" carried out on ebay.com (the US site)
with the worldwide option ticked will give a suitably low figure. Of
these items four are cameras. If I then run what is a more restricted
nikon search for
("nikon F"  body) I come up with 40 items of which 27 are clasic nikon
F bodies.  A seperate search gives me 26 FM2 bodies.
Now back to the fundamental question of which to choose:- Its great
that you can mount just about all of the nikon SLR lenses made,
including the autofocus ones, on your F or FM2, however this also means
that prices for second hand nikkor's remain high. The flip side of this
is of course that you can get some very good canon glass for peanuts.
As for relative optical quality, any discusion is of an esentialy
theological nature.
All the best Larry Cuffe