[rollei_list] Re: New darkroom

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:15:52 -0500

Some of my negatives are in odd sizes for which it negative carriers of the right size are not readily available. One is 6x12 and the other is the Xpan 35mm. What I did was to get a glass negative carrier to make masks for it in the two negative sizes. I bought a lithe red piece of plastic, made a hole in them to fit the negatives and then attached the prepared masks into the negative carriers. I made the holes a little bigger than the negatives so that I could get black edges on the photos. I like the glass negative carriers. It cut down on having to refocus after every test print. \

Glad to see someone else enjoys the darkroom. Digital is okay. I'm shooting a job partly in it, but also partly in B&W traditional and C-prints. I just don't feel as attached to the digital work as I would hope to, and I hate chimping. It reminds me of being a kid at Christmas eager to find out what the presents hold. Bah, humbug. For me, it is too disruptive to look after every shot. I need to be engaged in taking the photos. I was with a famous photographer the other day and he was constantly chimping. Can you imagine a concert pianist stopping after every note he plays at a recording sesson to hear what his tone is like. Well, it works for him and he is famous and I am not. The bottom line is that he does excellent work. It just pains me to watch him work. A slave to instant feedback. Then again, I'm a slave to delayed feedback. Each to his own...

Best--Doug