[rollei_list] New darkroom

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 01:54:01 +0100

Got the 504 today!

My first impression when I saw it was how HUGE it is. I still get flashbacks when I close my eyes. I was expecting something a bit smaller (like 3-4x smaller...). I almost turned and ran, but composed myself. I'm still in a bit of shock. The Durst I used many years ago (photo club owned it) was Tiny in comparison. I guess it was 6x6 or 6x7 max, quite a different thing. The DeVere is a beast in comparison.

No 6x9 carrier (or 6x7 or 6x12). I can either use the glass carrier and built in masks (like an easel, built into the head itself) or find a 6x12 set and simply crop down with the built in masks to cover everything from 6x7 - 6x12. I don't even have a 6x9 camera, so who am I kidding anyway :-).

Anyway, everything was like new, very well taken care of, many spare bulbs, extras, he even had reversing rings for the Rodagons, etc. I basically helped him clean out his darkroom and took whatever I wanted (except the Jobo ATL-1500 and some paper he will give to an intern). The easel is very nice, big, and with nice details. Got loads of unopened chemicals (D-76, fixers, Selenium toner, etc), loads of paper (from A4 to "giant" sized, both RC and Fibre, graded (2 & 3) and Multigrade from Ilford, Agfa, Kentmere and Oriental), print washers, RC print dryer, and part of the bench (the whole bench is too big for my room, and was too big for my car, so I took the parts I could use), enought to put the enlarger on. The lenses looked like new, caps and original boxes included. He had an unopened 6x6 contact sheet frame which I also got. Plus extra tanks, nice stainless steel tongs with holders (3 sets), etc. And several darkroom lamps with various bulbs, extra timer, etc.

Did I mention that the enlarger is gigantic? Huge?

Operation (focusing dials at the front of the baseboard) is smooth as silk, *really* nice. Like pro gear should be (like a Sinar P feels, or an Arca Swiss ball head, or a Rolleiflex - there, now we're on topic :-)). It's not that heavy (managed to carry it myself).
The timer is very nice, settings for 10th of a second, 1 second and 10 second intervals on separate dials, focus light and big red "expose" button. Electronically controlled.

Wow. I still can't believe it. Now I have to get a hold of an electrician to put up a few electrical contacts, clean out the room and get things set up.

The list has been a great resource, I just wanted to share some of the excitement of today (and the shock - did I mention how BIG this thing is...? ;-)).

Cheers,
Thor