[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:23:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:20 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

Thank you Richard, however my camera received an excellent CLA by Harry and I don't think a mechanical issue could be the problem, the meter needle moves vividly reacting to the light but measurements are wrong most of the times, the readings are low and then you overexpose, I think I need new cells, anyway this is not a serious problem to me.

Carlos

It could still have a contact problem despite Harry's ministrations. Its worth at least removing the meter and cleaning the contacts. When cells go bad they start by becoming non-linear as I posted earlier. If the meter is wrong all over its likely to be something other than the cell especially if the error is constant at all light levels. If the meter is accurate for low light levels _at the cell_ but has an error for high light levels, its likely the cell. Very old cells become inactive or nearly so. As an example, I have a very early Weston (probably about 1937) which hardly reads at all. Ive checked this one for wiring or contact problems. Another Weston of about the same age seems to be perfectly accurate. I also have about four General Electric meters of both the PR-1 and earlier version, all have bad cells. One of the PR-1s has gone bad in the last year. I also have an original Norwood Director with a bad cell. All have about the same symptoms. I think the fact that some old meters survive is a matter of the history of the meter or, perhaps, manufacturing variations. After all all these guys are sixty years old at minimum.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA