[rollei_list] Re: Meters and Film

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:29:52 -0400

Hi Carlos -

I think it depends upon your level of experience and how much you want
to think about exposure. The Zone system of course relied upon
multi-point reflectance spot metering. Modern cameras use complex
matrix reflectance metering, and most pros rely upon that as a
starting point, which the histogram for fine tuning...

As  classic shooters of film negative, we have different requirements
than most shooters today. With 12+ stops of contrast range often at
our disposal, prime lenses and cameras on tripods, our metering
requirements are often very different from the vast majority of
shooters out there...

I have used incident metering very often in my previous life as a
film-maker, but this was always coupled with film tests to determine
reflectance and contrast, which must always be accounted for some how
if what you are shooting counts...

Eric Goldstein