[rollei_list] Mark William Rabiner and Digital

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:55:20 -0400

At 04:35 PM 9/23/2009, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>99.9% of all commercial and most all else photography is digital now. Its
>nice that we on this camrea list find it viable. What's surprising is that
>we would be surprised.

Mark

I love you like a brother but I REALLY question that figure. 80% is probably more to the truth. SOMEONE is buying and developing film, and I do know a number of professionals who still use film, these being portrait and architecture and advertising guys.

Despite your hype, digital still cannot match film in anything beyond convenience and probably will not be fully able to do so for another decade or more. I made that point in the early 1990's in the early days of this list, identifying then that 2020 would be the probable year when quality became equal between film and digital. (We can discuss scientific and technical applications separately as these do have a specific distinction with photography.) I still believe 2020 will be the year of the change. And the optical engineers with whom I have discussed this say the same.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!