[rollei_list] Re: Is the RD1s much better is the M8 a worth while leap in cost

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:01:54 -0400

Much talk about it over the years on the Leica users group the LUG.
Little talk over the past year or so  most people had got rid of them and
gotten an M8.
A new version was amazingly announced last month but it's just a tweak.
The darned things never worked you were always sending them in to get fixed.
But of course one or two people got them to work for them and even posted
some images to show for it.
I advise my worst enemies to go grab one.
And visa versa. (my friends no)

Wait for the R2D2.
Should be announced just moments before the earth explodes.

M8's are dropping in price as most people doing "35mm" digital in a semi
serious fashion are wanting to shoot 24x36 format not half that.
To put thousands of dollar Leica glass in front of a crop factor format body
is starting to feel real dumb real fast to a real lot of people.
People who have a year ago gone out and gotten an EOS or this year a Nikon
DSLR.
I wait for a full frame Leica digital body to come out as my Nikon DSLR
system grows and my patience wears out. My M system stands poised to sell. I
just have little experience or patience with buying and selling and not sure
at this point in the economic explosion what my Leica glass would sell for.
Not selling my camera bodies because I know they wont go for peanuts.

Mark William Rabiner