[rollei_list] Re: Idle Thoughts on the US Memorial Day

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:32:43 -0400

On May 28, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 09:30 PM 5/28/2008, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>"Knyaz Suvorov" was the flagship of Admiral
>Rozhestvensky at Tsushima, where it was sunk on 27 May
>1905. She suffered numerous hits from explosive shells
>and was eventually sunk by three torpedo hits fired
>from torpedo boats.

Thanks, Carlos. Yes, PRINCE SUVOROV was the fleet flagship but an English-language ambiguity brings Jerry's post into question. He stated the "lead" battleship which, in English, can mean either the command ship (flaship) or the ship first in the formation.

And I'm not certain that Jerry's family would have been permitted to serve in the Tsarist forces as service to the Crown was then restricted to followers of the Orthodox faith with a very few exceptions.

Marc

My maternal grandfather, Jewish, was drafted into the Russian army post Russo-Japanese war, released from active duty months before the outbreak of WW I. According to him, the artillery unit in which he had served was entirely wiped out in the Masurian Swamps during the first major battle of the eastern war. Was Orthodoxy required of volunteer enlistments, as opposed to draftees?

Allen Zak