[rollei_list] Re: Film tight on rails? - formerly: Planar 2.8 coverage

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:46:32 -0300 (ART)

Elias:
       If you fill the tank up to brim the developer
has no room enough to run along the tank during the
tank agitation and it loses effectiveness, with a
filled tank agitation almost does not make sense; one
of the main purposes about agitation is to move
exhausted developer away from the film (within a
normal developing time) replacing it with fresh, if
the developer has no room to run, this purpose is not
accomplished right. In addition, it's necessary a good
agitation rhythm, I use about five inversions within
five seconds but about seven within 10 seconds is
still effective if the inversion movement is rapid.
After every agitation cycle I beat my plastic tank
against the work surface to dissolve bubbles.

I don't think the density differences in your roll has
to do with the roller reflection issue, it seems to be
something about film processing clearly, and now I
know you filled the tank to brim I think this could be
the main cause for the problem.

All the best
Carlos

--- ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Thanks for pursuing this further Richard, and thanks
> for that
> amazingly thorough explanation Dennis.
> I have to tell you that not only was I using Rodinal
> for the first
> time for this roll of film, but it was processed in
> a tank a little
> shorter than what I usually use, and filled to brim
> (I had to mix 520
> ml for the 1+25 and the tank takes about 450).
> Unwittingly, I stacked
> some odds against myself. This was very helpful.
> Mostly I'm relieved
> that it's not my Rolleiflex lens that's to blame.
>
> However, Richard, I'm not so sure I'm ready to leave
> it at that. I'm
> suspicious of the reflection off the roller theory,
> without it also
> being loose film. Any idea how to test it? Is it
> possible that as the
> film is spooled off the bottom roller it looses
> tension?
>
> Elias
>
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 12:06 AM, dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for the reply Dennis.  Ok, so assuming it
> may be due to
> >> agitation
> >> what technique do people recommend?  I try to
> invert and twist at
> >> about
> >> the
> >> same time, about 4-5 times every 30 seconds,
> sometimes every
> >> minute.  Am I
> >> over-agitating perhaps and creating too much flow
> on the edges of the
> >> reels?
> >> Should I not invert and instead just sort of
> twirl?
> >>
> >> Richard S.
> >
> > First I should tell you that I am a fan of your
> work and have your
> > Flikr
> > stream bookmarked to check up on your new work now
> and then.  I
> > have never
> > noticed that you have a processing problem.
> Perhaps you are going to
> > great lengths to get rid of it in the jpegs.  I do
> see it in the
> > Albany
> > shore sea scape.
> >
> > I have processed an awful lot of film and do to
> this day process for
> > several other photographers beside myself.  I
> spent an uncounted
> > ungodly
> > amount of time trying to figure out how to get
> even processing in a
> > stainless steel tank.  I was never able to do it.
> It is worse on some
> > films than others and probably worse with some
> developers than
> > others.  I
> > would get weired non lateral streaks and edge
> surge and bubbles and
> > everything else.  I tried ever possible way of
> twisting and turning
> > and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

      Los referentes más importantes en compra/ venta de autos se juntaron:
Demotores y Yahoo!
Ahora comprar o vender tu auto es más fácil. Vistá ar.autos.yahoo.com/