[rollei_list] Re: Economics Are Not Always Practiced (Thank God) (was:"I prefer simplicity and ease of use...")

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:26:15 -0400

Douglas Shea:

> ARGH!  Economic realities have ensured that EVERY camera ever made was made
> as cheaply as possible.  A manufacturer determines its target audience and
> then produces a camera to fit the needs of that niche, and produces this AS
> CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE.  This is as true for the 1925 Leica A or the 1935
> Rolleiflex Standard or the 1955 Contax III or the 1965 Icarex BM as it is
> for today's wares.
>
> There is no shame in this practice.  It is just the way the world works.
> Produce a product for the lowest cost possible and sell it for the highest
> price possible.=20
>
> Economists describe this process, in their inimitable technical language,
> as "doing business".
>
> Marc
>
> By all appearances the economists were not consulted by Alpa during its
> heyday -- I have never detected any evidence of compromise.
>
> Doug

Marc has come up with one of his lollapalooza generalities again. There
would be no shame in it if it were true, but it isn't for any product, not
just cameras. Unless of course you start getting into tautologies, that for
example by definition, the Alpa was made as cheaply as possible within the
factory's definition of what was needed for the target audience... in which
case the statement has no value to illuminate or inform...

Eric Goldstein