[rollei_list] Re: Developing and Printing at Home (was: Re: More first Rolleicord pics...)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:38:05 -0500

On Saturday, March 5, 2005, at 01:12  PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> Platinum prints do not have to be large. Even prints from Rollei
> negatives will have the special quality of this type of printing.

Yes, of course. But a large print has a totally different VISUAL impact
compared to a small print from the same negative.

Some prints are best viewed small, but mine are just the opposite.

To give an example: I recently had two of my 4x5 (Speed Graphic) Velvia
50 slides of a nearby lake, which I had taken in the fall, stitched
together to make a panorama, and had the resulting picture printed
professionally by inkjet on a 20 x 48 inch sheet. It's absolutely
GORGEOUS, and compares well to any photos taken by Makal Karsh (Yusuf
Karsh's brother, whose landscape photos put Ottawa on the map). I
intend to get my panorama framed some time in a double-matted 30 x 60
inch frame - at a cost of CAN.$600 or so (gasp)! - and I shall hang it
above the couch in my TV room, a perfect place for it. This picture
would not have NEARLY the same impact if it were merely 4 x 9.5 inches
in size, which is the approximate size of the slides when stitched
together, or even 10 x 24 inches.

> The main drawback of Platinum/Paladium printing is the cost of the
> metal. Pladium used to be cheaper but its now about the same as
> Platinum.

Yes, I know.

> There are other alternative methods which are much cheaper and not too
> difficult.

Yes, the best of them being Piezography, which is comparatively cheap
if one does it oneself on a dedicated printer with the Cone inks. But
even then, I can't possibly afford a Piezography printer which can
print on sheets 22 x 30 inches! But West Coast Imaging does Piezography
at a decent cost (I only intend to get one or two, or at most three,
16x20 Piezography prints made in a year, which I can definitely afford).

> Dick Sullivan is an old friend. Before he moved to Santa Fe he lived
> nearby and I saw him all the time. B&S are very good folks and will
> help with learning any of the processes they sell material for.

Yes, I gather that from their very nice and friendly web site!

> A shameless plug if there ever was one.

Heh-heh!

But you know, I WOULD like to get a Hobo (see
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/technical.htm>) eventually. What
a fantastic concept! A hand-held 8x10 camera! The cost of a Hobo at
present (with a suitable lens) is too much for me right now, but one
day I shall definitely get one, with a Nikkor SW 120mm lens.

Cheers,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/>