[rollei_list] Re: Developing and Printing at Home (was: Re: More first Rolleicord pics...)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:12:00 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ardeshir Mehta" <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:33 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Developing and Printing at Home
(was: Re: More first Rolleicord pics...)

> Thanks, Richard. I am quite familiar with developing my
> own pictures. I
> used to do that a LOT when a teenager. I even have a
> developing tank
> which I loaded quite a while ago, but have not had the
> chance to pour
> developer into yet! But nowadays I cannot get away from my
> responsibilities for the necessary chunk of time. My wife
> and kids and
> household duties always need my attention throughout the
> day.
>
> I am pretty sure I could also do Platinum printing, with
> the help of
> chemicals from Bostick & Sullivan (makers of the *Hobo*
> hand-held 8x10
> camera) - though I have never done it before. But I want
> LARGE prints -
> 16x20 inches, centred on full size (22x30 inch) rough
> textured water
> colour paper. I can get the inter-negatives done at a lab
> here. This
> will mean I shall need three or four HUGE trays! And a
> huge working
> area. Not to mention a huge contact frame, or two huge
> pieces of glass
> which I can clamp together, sandwiching the inter-negative
> and prepared
> paper. My home is not THAT big.
>
> Cheers.
>

> +++++
   Platinum prints do not have to be large. Even prints from
Rollei negatives will have the special quality of this type
of printing. The main drawback of Platinum/Paladium printing
is the cost of the metal. Pladium used to be cheaper but its
now about the same as Platinum. There are other alternative
methods which are much cheaper and not too difficult.
   Dick Sullivan is an old friend. Before he moved to Santa
Fe he lived nearby and I saw him all the time. B&S are very
good folks and will help with learning any of the processes
they sell material for. A shameless plug if there ever was
one.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA