[rollei_list] Consumable gear (was RE: Run Over By A Bus?)

  • From: "Jeffrey L. Bromberger" <jeffrey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:15:03 -0400

At 10:14 AM 9/9/2007, Laurence Cuffe wrote:
> At certain events you just have to consider gear as another consumable.

Back when I started shooting, my instructor told me this:

"Do not take anything into the field that you are not willing to lose in the
pursuit of 'THE' shot."

It was a good lesson for a budding camera jock to learn.  It teaches you a
whole mess about getting along with less than 100% of your camera gear, and
distilling down what you're looking for.

This hit home most recently about 3 months ago.  I do a lot of
music/bar/concert stuff.  I was in this upstairs club out on Long Island
(NY) as a progressive rock tribute band was playing.  Using a 200mm lens,
you'd see me crouched down, back pressed firmly against a half-wall, keeping
me upright so I could shoot the stage action.

Did I mention that the half-wall separates the dance floor (one step up)
from the bar area?

One, ahem, female patron had clearly imbibed more than her fair share of
ethanol and was trying to keep her private party going.  She had a large
goblet of some red wine in each hand - not as big as brandy snifters, but
pretty large.

So, she pulls away from the bar, listing strongly to port.  Neglects to
notice the half-wall, and then proceeds to get "clotheslined" on it.  Her
legs stay on the bar side, her torso (with the requisite lace-wrapped
accoutrements) come over the wall to plop on my head.  And those two glasses
of red wine?  One down each shoulder, leaving me to smell like I've had an
intimate session with Ernie and Julio Gallo.

The camera was safe - it was up at eye level.  My shirt wasn't so fortunate,
as I resembled gangland shooting victim.  And she was totally upset at me
for making her spill her drinks!

But I got the shot, and that's what counts.

j, shooting Nikon at the time
---
Jeffrey L. Bromberger
jeffrey@xxxxxxxx