[rollei_list] CdS, SPD, and Selenium

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:19:41 -0400

At 09:28 AM 4/30/05 -0700, Peter K. wrote:
>Just out of curiousity, why do you use Weston meters? Because tey are
>batteryless? I used to use a Norwood Director, but hated it. I went to
>digital with a Minolta IIIf years ago and never regretted it. Now I
>use a Sekonic L508. Simple and easy and far more accurate then the
>Director ever was.

Peter

I am not certain as to what you mean by "accurate" or whehter your Norwood
was out of whack.  Selenium more closely matches the response patterns of
modern emulsions than do either CdS or SPD or even Gallium Arsenide.
Selenium suffers from a weak response and a wide acceptance angle but, with
allowances for these quirks, it should provide a more accurate estimate of
the required exposure than do more "modern" light meters.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505